Friday, December 25, 2009

Compaq upgrade

Well, my husband finally got tired of Windows and was willing to try out Ubuntu, he's not 100% happy but he has adjusted pretty well. I considered a dual boot but he only has a 30 GB drive and I wasn't sure if I could fit on both and have room to run anything.

With nearly every computer job I've done with only online support, there is some bit of info that is missing. This one was no different. I had downloaded the latest build and all seemed to be going great until he tried watching YouTube. Didn't work. I searched online and found a ton of suggestions, again none worked. So I got the brilliant idea of checking for updates, after about 113 updates (to the latest build mind you) later YouTube plays perfectly. Now why couldn't anyone just say that online? Why all the rigamarol? It's a simple step and not even hard to do, just time consuming.

The machine still has issues like a bad battery but runs fine on the power cord. It also has the issues with the touch pad (okay the left click button) but the laptop is 7 years old and is on the 3rd owner.

Of course I am going to let him use the iBook too so he will have more computers than anyone else in the family, even if he is the least tech savvy.

No comments: