Friday, December 25, 2009

Another iBook repair

2 years ago I wrote about repairing a 2004 iBook with a bad hard drive. My lovely daughter wasn't quite as careful as she could be and in about a year she had the same problem. After a lot of questions it turned out the computer had been knocked off the bed to the floor while playing a movie, yeah just lovely.

At first I didn't want to do that job again and talked her into getting an Asus eeePC with a solid state drive that is the ultimate in impact resistance. Only problem is there is no optical drive but she is happy with it anyway and loves it's light weight and small size when going to school. The keyboard is fine for her tiny hands so the only complaint I was aware of wouldn't be a problem for her. She loves Ubuntu and has been happy for the last year. Though her husband is in need now too.

But that old iBook kept nagging at me and I finally broke down and invested in yet another drive. I am glad that I made notes before, as no place online tells you to reboot after initializing a new drive. Thankfully I had that tiny bit of info in my notes from the 2007 repair. Now I am awaiting a fresh install of Mac OS 10.3. I doubt it will run Leopard very well and Snow Leopard is out of the question.

No comments: