Friday, March 28, 2008

GIMP for gimps

In real life I've been rather gimpy after a foot surgery that is taking a while to heal. So in keeping with my mobility I have been trying to learn GIMP.

Now I like Open Source despite, or perhaps because, it can be a bit tougher to learn sometimes. GIMP I think is an exception. Now I admit to being a frequent user of Photoshop CS2 and other similar software. However, despite those caveats I found GIMP exceedingly easy to use and learn. There are a few old Photoshop tools missing but I didn't miss them as there are other ways to do the same thing, extract was a good example, I prefer to do that with paths anyway as they are easier to control. As Open Source the one thing missing is a library of brushes Photoshop offers. However, it is amazingly easy to create your own brushes or add new ones you find online(there are lots) or borrow from Photoshop, you do need administrator rights for adding but not to create in the software. Also there are tons of online tutorials so if you are unsure about something check for a tutorial about it.

No comments: