Saturday, October 07, 2006

Some success, some failure

Okay, it seems there are some real tricks to this software and there are a lot of bugs to fix but I am getting the hang of it.

  1. To install Windows Media Player you must first install Internet Explorer and use a request to play an mp3 file to force it to find Windows Media Player in the first place. I am now running Windows Media Player 6.4. When I check for updates I am being told that there is no update for it. Grrr!!
  2. Internet Explorer will only install in the Win98 bottle not WinXP or Win2000. So-o-o-o, you can't get updates! Well, After a lot of stumbling around the Microsoft website I finally found a place I can get WMP9. Didn't work. I am now trying with WMP 7.10.00.3059. I had read from someone else that he had to go through this too. I think it is working as it is currently doing a simulated restart. Yeah, I win another round.
  3. Of course, so far every upgrade I am getting is not moving me very far on the path to WMP9 or 10 for that matter but I am getting upgrades showing up in the list and they seem to be installing. In fact this last upgrade has really set me back as it seems I can no longer get WMP7.1 to play. Grrrr!!!! again. Time to try again.

No comments: